Cabbage Soup Won My Heart
I knew I’d found the guy for me when Dan created this keto cabbage soup that is also gluten-free and dairy-free. Little did he know it fit with my food issues. He apologized that this is what he was making for his dinner, but I was welcome to come over for a visit. At that point, we didn’t know much about each other yet, but I found out, He Cooks!!! So, You see, even before he was aware of all my food sensitivities he was making this soup.
I grew up eating cabbage. I had never heard of Keto, or food allergies and intolerances that included Gluten-free and Dairy-free eating. I think that even if you’ve never enjoyed cabbage, you may still enjoy this soup.
In our house, we love all soups, but especially this cabbage soup. The guys put hot sauce in theirs. Having a quick option to grab from the freezer for lunch is a huge help when trying to adapt and get in the groove with a new eating plan. By selecting the items carefully you can adjust the carbs if you’re eating keto.
Give it a tweak
You can tweak this recipe in so many ways. You can use whatever leftover veggies you have in the fridge. Using gluten-free sausage instead of ground beef has my vote. Adding fresh chopped tomatoes instead of canned is easy to do, and seasonings can be switched out too. I know this soup can be altered to be vegetarian or even vegan just by changing out the protein source and the broth that you choose. A can of mixed bean blend would rock in this soup.
Give it a whirl. If you’re nervous about the quantity or find chopping a cabbage too difficult, you can buy one of those bagged coleslaw salads from the grocery. Just reduce the quantities of everything probably by half, and it won’t take as long to cook through either.Print Recipe
Keto Cabbage Soup, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 lb Ground Beef Lean
- 1 Tbsp Black Pepper Fresh Cracked
- 1 Carrot Chopped
- 4 Cups Broth Your Choice of Flavour
- 1 Cabbage Medium Size. 5-6 inches across
- 1 Bell Pepper Your Choice of Colour
- 1 can Canned Tomato Choose Lowest Carbs you can find.
- 1 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt to taste, or serve on the side.
- In a large pot, saute onion in olive oil. Add ground beef and saute until no longer pink
- Add Black pepper and carrot, continue cooking until beef is browned
- Add Cabbage and Green Pepper
- Add Liquids. Broth and Dice Tomato
- Add Herbs and Seasonings
- Stir well. Simmer gently for remaining time. Approx. 1hr.
- Add Salt at the very end to taste, or serve on the side